Do You Control Your E-mail or Does Your E-Mail Control YOU?
By Dr. Geri Markel On
Five E-Mail Efficiency Tips
269 billion emails are sent around the globe each day. How many are landing in your inbox ()?
Most people are overwhelmed by the amount of email they receive. Some people spend hours trying to sort and send, others, just let the email pile up until thousands pile up. Very few feel their email is under control. Without doubt email is a major distraction in terms of time management and productivity. No one expects the problem to lessen, so now may be the perfect time to become more efficient in controlling the email flow.
- Make a realistic schedule: Set aside a few times a day to check your email, but put on a timer so you only spend an allotted time.
- Create a system to manage the flow: For example, delete, forward, urgent respond, and unsubscribe. Use symbols or colors to indicate those emails require quick turn around, but also need thoughtfulness.
- Schedule on your calendar times for reflection for those emails requiring problem solving or decision-making.
- Use your preferred style of communication for thorny or emotionally laden emails. For some, talking is easier than writing. In such cases, a phone call may be easier and faster.
- Engage in an Electronic Lockdown even for 10-to-15-minute periods. Announce that you will be unavailable during these times.
You can use technology to manage technology. For example, Runa Tripathy describes some helpful apps to better manage your email.
When a task is time-consuming and tedious, it pays to have a system in place. Make a commitment today to clear the clutter from your inbox and set up some regular times to deal with your email.
Get my free app with tips for conquering the 8 demons of distraction at your fingertips (i-phone or android)
Click Here for Great Resources from Dr. Geri Markel
Dr. Markel Offers Leadership and ADHD Coaching
Download Dr. Markel’s Speaker One Sheet: GeriMarkelCorporateOneSheet-Print
Value-Driven Keynotes and Breakouts.
Book Dr. Markel to Speak at Your Next Event? Connect Today!